Copyright

No copying of text, pictures and videos from this blog.

26.1.10

The Importance Of Sportsmanship

Today, after lessons were over, I had to stay back in school for the student leader investiture rehearsal. After having my lunch, I had nothing to do before the rehearsal so I wandered around in school aimlessly before finally deciding to stay at the field and watch a group of boys play soccer.

It was really an exciting match. The players were rapidly passing the ball to one another, dribbling, tackling one another and occasionally scoring goals. However, after watching the match intently for fifteen minutes, I witnessed a foul. A player had just received the ball and was dribbling it skillfully towards the opponents' goal when suddenly he was tripped by another player.

The player that got tripped cried foul but the one who tripped him, instead of apologising, scolded the other player, saying that the other player had intentionally fallen down to get a free kick. Soon, things started to heat up and the two players started pushing one another. Fortunately, their friends managed to break them up, but after that scene, the match didn't seem quite as exciting as before and I started making my way off to the hall where I was having my student leader investiture rehearsal.

On the way there, I thought, '' Was all that really necessary?''

If the player who committed the foul had owned up and the boy who got tripped didn't get so angry and acted so rashly, none of the arguments would ever have to happen. This shows how important good sportsmanship is.

1 comment:

  1. Nice recount on the short scene in the field, with personal thoughts thrown in.

    ReplyDelete